Fabulous flowers, food and drink are a big part of our holiday celebrations. But, be careful! Some of the same food and drink that bring us seasonal joy can be dangerous or even deadly to our cats. Here are the top five most common holiday toxins.
1 – Alcohol – After a long night of merriment, we just want to get all snug in our beds, with visions of sugar plumbs dancing in our heads. But, before you turn in for your long winter’s nap, clean up your booze. A careless cup of spirits and a curious cat can be a deadly combination. As little as a tablespoon of alcohol can cause serious liver or brain injury to your cat.
2- Chocolate – Death by Chocolate is not just the name of a cake. It can be a real cause of death for your cat. Chocolate contains a toxic chemical compound called Theobromine. Small amounts of chocolate can cause vomiting and diarrhea. Large amounts can cause heart arrhythmias, seizures and even death. The amount and type of chocolate ingested by your cat are important facts to know that will predict the seriousness of the poisoning.
3 – Holiday plants. Contrary to popular belief, Poinsettia are not the problem. These holiday beauties cause only mild local irritation to the mouth. The real concerns are Lillie and Mistletoe. Mistletoe may mean a stolen kiss for you, but it can cause an upset stomach or a heart arrhythmia in your cat. Lilies are worse yet. Even a few bites of a Lily can cause fatal kidney failure in cats. I recommend never letting lilies in your house.
I am wishing you a happy and healthy holiday season – for you and your cat family!